There is a great chance you have come across a call-to-action button at least once in your life. What is meant here are the graphic button on websites that ask you to do something, such as watching a video or downloading an ebook.
These buttons usually have a specific purpose, which is to convince a user to take an offer. Thereby an unknown user becomes a lead.
To this end the users are referred to a landing page. On these pages, they are offered special content which they can only access in exchange for contact information. Therefore, the purpose of call-to-action buttons is to generate traffic on a landing page and to obtain information on potential clients.
In order to make effective call-to-action buttons, we have compiled the following tips for you:
- Work with verbs and actively tell users what they should do.
Example: "Click on this button!" or "Register here!"
- Tell the user what to expect.
Example: "Download the ebook here!" or "Click the button to start the video!"
- Place the button in the top-half of the page to avoid scrolling.
Exception: blog posts as you probably want them to read the whole piece.
- Use a bright color. However, you should also pay attention that the button still matches the overall design of your page.
- KISS: Keep it short and be on point.
- Less is more: call-to-action buttons are supposed to stick out from their surroundings. This also means that there should not be a great number of buttons on a single page.
- Try not to use flash animations as they are not supported by all mobile devices – this could potentially cost you valuable leads.
Call-to-action buttons can be used in many different ways. They are supposed to make people curious and lead them to a landing page. Done the right way, they can play a valuable role in your company's lead generation process.